The construction crew will be working as shown below this week, pending updates due to weather, etc. (for which an update email will be issued).
Please wear comfortable clothing and expect to get dirty. Close-toed shoes are a must, and layers are often helpful. Bring work gloves if possible, but no tools or supplies are required; GNHFH will provide all necessary tools and building materials. No lunch donation has been arranged unless otherwise indicated. You may wish to bring water to drink as well.
Street parking for 45A-B Chestnut Street is limited; public parking is available nearby at the former courthouse in the middle of the traffic circle just north of the site, as well as at the High Street Parking Lot and the Garden Street Parking Lot B. Please do not park directly in front of the project; we need access for deliveries and our equipment truck.
GNHFH is pleased to host volunteers from the Amherst NH Lowes who elected to build with us through their Lowe’s Heros volunteer program. Only core volunteers otherwise, please. Volunteers will line and straighten 2nd floor walls, with doubled top plates, lay out truss locations, and start ledgers for front and back porches, with flashing.
GNHFH is very pleased to have the New England Commissioned Officers come volunteer with us. Only core volunteers otherwise, please. Volunteers will complete prep for roof trusses due on 08/21, finish gaps on sheathing and ledgers, then continue exterior Styrofoam installation. Resources permitting, put up basement stairwell supporting walls.
Additional small jobs: Looking for volunteers to support the following small projects; please contact Eric Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Nashua – Repair drainage around front door
Groups of more than 10 that wish to volunteer at the construction site should send an email in advance to email@example.com.
In addition to general hands-on construction work, the construction crew needs assistance as listed below. If you’d be able to help, please email Becky Stoughton at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
Truck Maintenance Coordinator – Ensure truck is adequately maintained, including gas, oil changes, registration, etc. Must be able to drive a box truck.
The ReStore at 352 Amherst Street in Nashua has a wide variety of volunteer opportunities Tuesdays through Saturdays. Critical needs at the present time are
- ReStore Volunteer Coordinator – Lead ReStore volunteer recruitment program and processes. Flexible 6 hours/wk.
- Craigslist Administrator – Photograph selected inventory items and post on Craigslist. Approximately 4 hrs/wk; flexible.
- Donation Intake - 4 hour shifts all days. Help with moving furniture, unloading donations from vehicles, and loading purchases into vehicles
- Cashiers – 4-hour shifts Wednesdays, Fridays, and/or Saturdays
We prefer that volunteers sign up for regular shifts if possible (weekly, bi-weekly, etc.) as their schedule permits. Please email John Gallagher at email@example.com or call him at 603-943-8980 (or stop at the store) if you are able to help with any of the openings listed above.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- Holiday Stroll Coordinators - The Nashua Holiday Stroll will be held on Saturday, Nov 29. This event takes place on Main Street in Nashua between 5pm and 10pm. Every year GNHFH holds a bake sale in the Main Street Methodist Church. We need a few volunteers to help organize this event again this year.
- Grant Writing – Assist in preparing several grant applications over the next year. (Grant writing experience highly preferable.)
- Fundraising – Help solicit corporate and individual sponsorships. (Fundraising experience highly preferable.)
- Photographer – Attend special events, occasional build days, etc. and photograph the occasion.
Please contact Leah Shuldiner at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to volunteer for any of these opportunities.