HABITAT FOR HUMANITY VOLUNTEER PROGRAM
“Our love should not be just words and talk; it must be true love, which shows itself in action” – 1 John 3:18
Habitat for Humanity is an ecumenical Christian ministry. Our belief is that all people should have a safe, decent place to live. Habitat for Humanity’s work is driven by the desire to give tangible expression to God’s love through the work of eliminating poverty housing. Habitat for Humanity partners with individuals of all faiths, or of no faith, to bring diverse groups of people together to join our mission to build and renovate simple, decent, affordable houses.
Habitat has an open-door policy: All who desire to be a part of this work are welcome, regardless of religious preference or background. We have a policy of building with people in need regardless of race or religion. We welcome volunteers and supporters from all backgrounds.
Putting Faith into Action
Habitat is a partnership founded on common ground – bridging theological differences by putting love and faith into action. Everyone can use a hammer as an instrument to manifest God’s love. Millard Fuller, founder of Habitat for Humanity, said “While we may disagree on many issues, we can agree on the idea of building homes with God’s people in need.” As we focus on working together to build a house, we realize that our similarities become more important than our differences.
How Can My Congregation Help Habitat?
Habitat for Humanity has its roots in the faith community, and our Faith Partner relationships are a fundamental part of our success.
Through a Faith Partner relationship with GNHFH, faith groups express with their prayers, time, energy, and dollars that all people are entitled to a safe place to call home. Congregations of all sizes can partner with Habitat for Humanity in a variety of ways.
Consider these possibilities:
• Pray. Without the continuing prayers of millions of people, Habitat’s work could not continue.
• Support Habitat financially Encourage your congregation to include Habitat for Humanity in its mission work.
• Make regular donations to your local Habitat affiliate or collect special Habitat for Humanity offerings.
• Provide in-kind goods and services.
• Raise funds to build all or part of a house.
• Volunteer. Build strength and unity within your congregation as you work toward the common goal of helping others.
For more information about building a faith partnership with Habitat, please contact our office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org